Community Night Out
Elles: Women Artists from the Centre Pompidou, Paris
October 12, 2012
Celebrate the creativity and ingenuity of women artists with an evening full of free live music, art making, My Favorite Things tours, performances and workshops inspired by Elles: Pompidou and Elles: SAM. Bring your family, friends, students, kids, parents, and fellow artists—there will be something for everyone!
Online tickets to Elles:Pompidou are sold out but please still come to our free Community Night Out for activities, performances and talks for all ages. On-site tickets to Elles:Pompidou may be available on-site depending on space availability.
- The Seattle Chinese Community Girls Drill Team kicking off the evening in South Hall, leading to a performance in Brotman Forum
- Live musical performances by Daisy Chain featuring their unique blend of blues, rock, soul and hip-hop
- A diverse mix of classical works, world music and contemporary choral pieces performed by Northwest Girlchoir
- All evening pop, hip-hop, soul and local favorites spun by DJ Sharlese
- American Tribal Style Belly Dance performance and lesson with Skin Deep Dance joined by Deep SEEDs
- Learn Madonna's Vogue dance with Inga Ingenue, Waxy Moon and Lou Henry Hoover of Dance Belt and then perform it in Brotman Forum
- Ready for your close up? A video crew from Reel Grrls will capture community members' responses to questions about feminism, art, inspiration, and more
- Seattle Art Museum and Pecha Kucha Seattle present: Women Who Rock: Agents, Provocateurs & the Ideas That Inspire Them featuring rapid-fire presentations from an all-star roster of Seattle's women innovators including Amanda Manitach, Sylvia Wolf, Fay Jones, Pat Graney, Margie Livingston, Elizabeth Sandvig, Barbara Earl Thomas, Mimi Allin, Helen Lowe, Jess Van Nostrand, Pat DeCaro, Ann Morris, and Davida Ingram
- Feminist spoken word and performance artist, Christa Bell, premieres an excerpt of her new work 1001 Holy Names: a meditation on the divinity of women's bodies
- Celebrate the contributions of women and girls to geeky pursuits of all kinds with GeekGirlCon's trivia game: Ten Things I Know About You
- Enjoy live performances and rock out on different instruments with the girls of Rain City Rock Camp for Girls
- Adorn and embellish your own image with artist Elizabeth Humphrey by creating a personal trading card inspired by the work of Frida Kahlo and Cindy Sherman
- Become a superhero by making your own power band with artist Romson Bustillo
- Design your own call to action magnet with artist Jeanne Dodds inspired by the work of the Guerilla Girls
- Experience the galleries in new and unexpected ways with highly opinionated tours led by artists, Community Partners and special guests
SAM is proud to have Alliance Francaise de Seattle, ARCADE, Canoe Social Club, GeekGirlCon, Gage Academy of Art, Girls on the Run Puget Sound, Happy Hour in Seattle, Intiman Theatre, Northwest Girlchoir, Rain City Rock Camp for Girls, Reel Grrls, Langston Hughes Performing Arts Center, Seattle Chamber Young Professionals Network, Seattle Chinese Community Girls Drill Team, Seattle Fun Events, Seattle Symphony, Skin Deep Dance, Surrender Dance, The Seattle Welcome Wagon, Skate Like a Girl, The World is Fun, University of Washington Advocates for the Arts, Urban Artworks, The Vera Project, Women in Film Seattle, Women's Funding Alliance, Young Professionals International Network as our Community Night Out Partners.