Community Night Out
September 5, 2013
Celebrate the creativity and ingenuity of Japanese fashion with an evening full of free live music, art making, My Favorite Things tours, performances, and workshops inspired by Future Beauty: 30 Years of Japanese Fashion.
Bring your family, friends, students, kids, parents and fellow artists—there will be something for everyone!
The night's activities include:
- DJ 100 Proof spins a mix of soul, funk, hip-hop, R&B, dub and local sounds all night long.
- Come support the Seattle-based dance group, Vicious Puppies Crew, as they demonstrate the art of movement through their break dancing performances.
- Create dolls with attitude and their own funky fashion with Janet Fagan using only recyclable materials to form your designs.
- Get inspired by Japanese patterns with Sandra Farmer and then create your very own print to take home!
- Join Malia Peoples, creative force behind Lady Konnyaku clothing, to create hipster headbands and throwback scruncies.
- Join Megumi Arai who will be here to photograph your most fashionable look.
- Add your creative touch to the garments started by artist Tariqa Waters and watch as this collaborative project takes shape throughout the night.
- Get inspired by contemporary fashion as the New York Fashion Academy features their own innovative designs in a live fashion show.
- Sneak a peek at our current showcase of fashion inspired drawings and paintings made by students from Coyote Central, a creative center for adolescents.
- Relive the iconic style and fashion of the '80's, '90's and '00s with MTV's House of Style. Featured episodes include Jon Stewart, Sibyl Buck, Modeling in Japan, X-Girl street fashions and more.
- Experience the galleries in new and unexpected ways with My Favorite Things: Highly Opinionated Tours led by artists, Community Partners and special guests:
This event is free and open to the public.